Buy a piece of Internet History!
|Homepage | Buy Pixels | FAQ | Blog | Advertisers | Press | Testimonials | Contact Us|
Please get in touch and let us know what other questions you have. We will, of course, add some here.
1. What is the idea?The idea is simple: to try and make $1m (US) by selling 1,000,000 pixels for $1 each. An English lad by the name of Alex Tew came up with the first "Million Dollar Page. His idea helped pay his University tuition, his living expenses and so on, leaving quite a nice piece of change in his pocket. We need to cover our various expenses associated with the design and maintenance of a state of the art web site. Some of this money will be used to completely re-design the songweavers.com website. Some other chunks of this money is going to support the artistic members of songweavers.com.
So, everyone is welcome to buy our pixels, which are available in 100-pixel 'blocks' (each measuring 10x10 pixels). You will see the homepage is divided into 10,000 of these 100-pixel blocks (hence there are 1,000,000 pixels in total). The reason for selling them in 100-pixel blocks is because anything smaller would be too small to display anything meaningful.
You can buy as many pixels as you like, as long as there are some available (see the live stats in the top right corner of the page). When you buy some pixels, you can then display an image/ad/logo of your choice in the space you have purchased. This image may have a click to your website. You may also upload a second image and a brief description of your ad/site. However, no obscene or offensive images are allowed.
The pixels you buy will be displayed on their own page permanently - Once the page has been sold, there will be no other changes to it. A link to it with brief statistics will be posted on songweavers.com front page as well as on Facebook, Myspace and other social sites. So, in the long run, these pixels will offer good value. You will have a piece of internet history!
2. Who are you?Songweavers.com is a website that facilitates musical collaboration through the internet medium. Many wonderful songs have already been created by the joint efforts of musicians and/or lyricists from countries as diverse as Turkey, Iran, Israel, Serbia, Australia, the U.K. and the U.S.A. One of our projects has produced over 100 versions of a song with lyrics donated by His Excellency Shimon Peres, President of the State of Israel and Nobel Peace Prize laureate. Songweavers has produced 2 CD collections of these versions, many of them translated into various languages. The net proceeds from the sale of these CD's are being distributed to organizations that strive to promote peace on Earth.
3. How did you come up with the idea?This is how Alex Tew describes the birth of this marvelous ddea:
It was a muggy summer's night late in August (2005), the time around midnight, and there I was, lying on my bed with a notepad, brainstorming ideas to make money for uni. I think I'm quite a creative person, so I wanted to come up with an idea that was unique and would hopefully capture people's imagination, but with the whole purpose of making money. No point being shy about it! I think we brits can sometimes be too shy about money. Well bugger that, I DO NOT want to be a broke student!
So anyway, after an hour of two of jotting random things on paper, the idea seemingly popped out of nowhere. Almost like my subconscious mind had been ticking over in the background, working it all out. So it just kind of happened. That's about it. I scribbled it down and within about 10 minutes a picture of what needed to be done had emerged.
4. Why should I buy your pixels?Granted, the Million Pixel Page is not a new idea anymore, but the concept is still valid. You will not find any other place that will sell you permanent internet advertising and the price is very reasonable. In addition, our page is an improvement on the original - in addition to a brief description we are also allowing a graphic display as well as a display of your URL. You will have an image and a link to your site on the page of a site that will be seen by millions of people over the coming years. The site will be online for at least 5 years, that's guaranteed, but the idea is to keep it online forever. So you really could own a piece of 'internet history'!
5. Why can't I buy one single pixel?Although it would probably be cool if individuals could buy a single pixel each, in practice, it wouldn't so effective. You can't display anything meaningful in one pixel - nor click it easily - so visually, it would be pointless. Also, With thousands of random tiny colored dots all over the place, the homepage would look ghastly.
I also thought that the site would appeal more to people with businesses/websites to advertise than it would to individuals, or to put it more accurately, businesses would pay more to have a meaningful graphic on the homepage. Hence the minimum purchase is $100 - a 10x10 block.
However! If you really want to own a single pixel, there is always the option of clubbing together with your friends/family/colleagues and buying a 10x10 block.
6. How long will the site be online?The site will be online for 5 years guaranteed (at least until July 10, 2014), however the aim is to keep the site online forever (or as long as humanly possible).
The idea is to create something of an internet time capsule: a homepage that is unique and permanent. Everything on the internet keeps changing so fast, it will be nice to have something that stays solid and permanent for many years. You can be a part of that!
Once again, many thanks and many kudos to Alex Tew.
This page last updated: July 10th 2009